Tips for Coaches
Warm Up & Stretch Before Games Practice
Coaches should set aside time before every practice and game for kids to warm up properly.
• Stretching before practice and games can release muscle tension and help prevent sports-related injuries.
• Ensure your team trainng starts with about 10 minutes of jogging or any light activity, and then stretch all major muscle groups, holding for 20 to 30 seconds.
Remember to Hydrate
Learn the signs and symptoms of dehydration and other forms of heat illness.
Make sure kids have a water bottle and encourage them to stay well-hydrated by drinking plenty of water before, during and after play.
Encourage them to drink fluids 30 minutes before activity begins and every 15-20 minutes during activity.
Establish mandatory water breaks throughout practice and games – don’t wait for your team to tell you they’re thirsty
The F.A. pages offer an email service where you can sign up to get regular information on areas such as coaching and learning
Want to know how you can use RESPECT to make you a better coach?
Find out how in this free new interactive online course from the F.A.
You will need your FAN number to access it.
• Assess your confidence in a range of areas
• Get tips and advice from a wide array of videos and resources
• See exclusive interviews with members of the England team, explaining how their youth coaches got them to where they are today.
• See how it's done in some of England's most prestigious Football Academies.